First, you must have a passport from your home country and obtain a visa from the United States Embassy/Consulate in your home country to enter the united States. To attend College of the Sequoias (COS) you will need to apply for an F-1 Student Visa by completing the following steps:
Step 1: English Language Proficiency
One test is required unless English is your native language:
- TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language - Minimum score: 500 paper test; 173 computerized test; 61 IBT OR
- APIEL - Advanced Placement International English Language - examination score: 3 OR
- IELTS - International English Language Testing System - minimum score: 5
Exceptions: If you have not taken the TOEFL test or if your TOEFL score is less than the above minimum scores, and are interested in admission to College of the Sequoias, you can be CONDITIONALLY admitted if you meet all of our requirements, except English proficiency, plus the following:
- You must enroll in English as a Second Language (ESL) courses each Fall/Spring
- You may not enroll in regular COS academic classes until you have received an authorization letter from your ESL instructor stating you have achieved English proficiency.
Step 2: Application for Admission
All four items are required:
- Complete and submit an applicaiton to COS at CCCApply, AND
- Submit College of the Sequoias
International Student Admission Application, as well as a
Financial Sponsorship form verifying a minimum of $24,476 (U. S. Dollars) being available for the first year. As a public supported community college, we do not offer any type of financial aid or scholarships to international students. AND
- Submit one letter of recommendation from principal or counselor from last school AND
- Submit copy of your passport (pages showing name, date of birth, country of birth, photo, and passport expiration date)
Step 3: School Transcript
- Submit complete certified English translations of transcripts from colleges / universities attended.
- Engineering/Science Major - Submit certified English translations of High School transcripts.
Step 4: Application Fee (non-refundable)
Submit check or credit card information for $100 (U.S. dollars) International Student Application Fee drawn on United States Bank. This is an application fee and cannot be refunded.
Step 5: Insurance Coverage
- Provide copy of insurance policy that includes accident, hospitalization, repatriation and medical evacuation, OR
- Purchase accident, hospitalization, repatriation and medical evacuation insurance policy from an insurance company of your choice . College of the Sequoias does not approve or promote any of the businesses below and these websites are provided only to assist you in your search.
Student Insurance USA
International Student Protection
Step 6: Pay SEVIS Fee
Effective September 1, 2004, individuals seeking an F-1 Student Visa pay a $350.00 SEVIS I-901 fee. If you do not pay the fee, you will:
- Not be issued an F-1 visa and will not be admitted to the United States, OR
- If you are present in the United States, your application will not be processed.
A copy of form I-901 is available at
The Department of Homeland Security
website. Review the SEVIS I-901 instructions to determine if you might be exempt from the fee and for other information regarding the submission of the form.
Step 7: Obtain an F-1 Student Visa
When your I-20 arrives from College of the Sequoias, make an appointment at the nearest United States Consulate or Embassy to apply for an F-1 Visa. You can check the anticipated wait times for an appointment in various cities of your country on the following web site:
Learn how to schedule an appointment for an interview, pay the application processing fee, review embassy specific instructions, and much more by visiting the U.S. Embassy or Consolate website where you will apply.