Federal Work Study
What is Federal Work Study?
Federal Work Study is Financial Aid Program that offers government subsidized employment to students in jobs both on and off the COS campuses. Federal Work Study provides part-time, temporary employment for students who need additional income to help pay for costs of education. The program encourages recipients to participate in community service activities leading to permanent employment.
Financial Aid Link
How Do Students Become Eligible?
Eligibility for the Federal Work Study (FWS) program is determined by the COS Financial Aid Office. In order to be considered, students must:
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Select "yes" on the FAFSA confirming interest in the program.
- Make certain your correct mailing address is in Banner Web.
Students who are determined eligible must wait for a FWS Invitation letter to arrive in the mail. Not all students receive eligibility letters. Receipt of a letter DOES NOT indicate placement in the program; however it does indicate the student can meet with the Work Study Specialist and possibly be referred for interviews. Students are sent FWS Invitation letters based on a first-come, first-serve policy. Students who apply for financial aid prior to the March 2nd "priority deadline" will have preference over students who submitted their FAFSA's at a later date. After receiving an FWS Invitation letter, students should contact the Student Employment/Work Study Office and make an appointment with the Work Study Specialist for interviewing.
How Many Students Participate?
Approximately 150 students are placed in Federal Work Study each year. The majority of placements occur during the months of July, August, September, October, January and February.
Any agency interested in partnering with COS to offer a healthy working environment and valuable work experience for students within the community should call Elvia Rangel, Work Study Specialist, at (559) 730-3856.
Steps for Non-Profit Agencies to Participate:
- A Job Description form, Needs Assessment form, and a Federal College Work Study (FCWS) Agreement will be mailed to the agency for endorsement.
- Once completed, forms should be mailed to COS, along with a copy of the agency's 501 (c) 3 tax form verifying non-profit status.
- Please mail forms to:
College of the Sequoias
915 S. Mooney Blvd.
Visalia, CA. 93277
Attn: Student Employment/Work Study
Benefits to Off-Campus Non-Profits Partnering with COS:
- Seventy-five percent (75%) of student wages paid by COS.
- Payroll functions handled by COS.
- Students gain valuable work experience.
- Students can work up to 19 hours per week on campus and up to 28 hours per week off campus.
Non-Profit Agencies Participating with COS Federal Work Study:
- Central Valley Recovery Services
- City of Visalia
- Tulare City Schools
- Tulare County Office of Education
For more information, please contact:
Elvia Rangel - Work Study Specialist