Be Proactive - How To Keep Your Money Coming 

It is important you understand your responsibility in managing your VA Education account. Being informed keeps your payments coming and reduces your risk of paying back money to the VA. These are the most common reasons why students do not receive their benefit payments or owe money.

ENROLLMENT CHANGES                                                                                                                                               
You must inform our office as soon as you add or drop a course.
SEMESTER REQUEST FOR BENEFITS                                                                                                                             
You must submit a Semester Request for VA ED Benefits form to our office every semester of attendance.  We recommend submitting your form as soon as you register.  We recommend registering as soon as you are eligible.
RETROACTIVE ENROLLMENT CERTIFICATION                                                                                                               
Students have one-year from the beginning date of a term to request and receive retroactive benefits. You may request
and be certified for benefits for any term that you have not previously requested benefits for. However, the VA will determine the date of eligibility and the beginning date from which benefits can be paid.


ACADEMIC PROGRESS                                                                                                                                                  
Student's receiving Veterans Education benefits must maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA).   If I earn a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 in all units attempted in three consecutive semesters that were graded on the basis of the grading scale and semester GPA of less than 2.0 in the third semester, I shall not be certified for veteran’s educational benefits.  The term “consecutive semester of enrollment” is defined on the basis of student enrollment, regardless if you were or were not receiving VA education benefits.   For example, a student enrolled in two fall semesters and not enrolled for the spring semester between would still have two consecutive semesters of enrollment.   In order to receive educational benefits again, one semester must elapse after the non-certification.   Student must also meet with the Dean of Counseling and Matriculation and meet school requirements before being certified again.   
Courses that are failed or for which the grade does not meet minimum requirements for graduation may be repeated once for VA certification purposes. If a course has already been successfully completed, course may not be certified for VA purposes.
ATTENDANCE CARDS                                                                                                                                                      
Failure to submit your attendance card may result in a either your pay stopping or a delay in your pay.  Attendance verification cards/emails are due once during the session for summer courses.  Cards/emails are due twice each semester for the fall and spring semesters. We must receive your instructor's signature/email between the dates specified below.  You may return your card to the COS Veterans Office located in the Sequoia Building room 101, or place the card in the black box near the sliding door outside room 101, or submit to the Hanford/Tulare Center. Emails should be sent to
Spring 2014
1st Attendance Card must be signed between January 13 - January 27, 2013 (1st card due no later than 1/27/2014)
2nd Attendance Card must be signed between March 3 - March 17, 2013 (2nd card due no later than 3/17/2014)
IF YOU HAVE ATTENDED OTHER SCHOOLS                                                                                                                     
Prior course work completed at other colleges, as well as military specialty schools, must be evaluated and reported to the Veterans Administration no later than the 2nd term of attendance at COS. Students are given a two-semester “grace period”. Evaluation of the DD214 and prior course work will be performed and credit applied, as appropriate, to the COS transcript. If we do not have your transcripts by your second semester we will not be able to certify your enrollment for benefits.
YOU MUST VERIFY YOUR ENROLLMENT WITH VA (CH 30, 1606, 1607)                                                                           
VA education program participants attending school must verify their enrollment attendance each month in order to receive payment. This verification is in addition to submitting your attendance verification  to the COS Veterans Office.  To verify your enrollment you may call 1-887-823-2378 or click this link and then click on the W.A.V.E. button .  This should be done on the last day of each month you are enrolled in school.



Please send your comments or questions regarding veterans benefits at College of the Sequoias to


Last Updated: 3/16/2015 2:53 PM