Financial Aid Grants & Loans

College of the Sequoias offers the following federal and state financial aid grants and loans to eligible students.


 Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW)

The Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW) provides tuition/fees assistance for California residents who meet strict income eligibility criteria at California community colleges. Students apply to receive a BOGFW by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or by submitting the BOGFW application directly with the College of the Sequoias’ Financial Aid Office.

For Fall 2014, Spring 2015, and Summer 2015
14-15 Board of Governors Fee Waiver
14-15 Board of Governors Fee Waiver - Spanish​

 Cal Grant B

The Cal Grant B provides grant funds for access costs for low-income students in an amount not to exceed $1,551. This grant is to be used for living expenses and expenses related to transportation, supplies and books. Beginning with the second year of Cal Grant B benefits, Cal Grant B also helps pay for tuition/fees for California residents attending qualifying institutions offering undergraduate academic programs of not less than one academic year. Awards are guaranteed for those who meet the program eligibility criteria. Students apply to receive a Cal Grant B by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and their GPA. Check with the COS Financial Aid Office on how to submit your GPA.

 Cal Grant C

The Cal Grant C provides grant funds to assist students with tuition/fee and training costs for occupational or vocational programs. Awards are for vocationally oriented students from low- and middle-income families. Recipients are selected based on financial need and vocational aptitude and must be enrolled in a vocational program at a California Community College, independent college, or vocational school, in a course of study lasting from four months to two years. Students apply to receive a Cal Grant C by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and their GPA. Check with the COS Financial Aid Office on how to submit your GPA.

 Chafee Grant

The Chafee Grant is federal and state funded grant for former or current foster youth who plan to attend a college or receive career training. The current minimum Chafee Grant award is $5,000 per academic year, not to exceed cost of attendance. The final award amount will be determined based on the college of attendance and enrollment status. Students apply to receive the Chafee Grant by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Chafee Grant Application below.

 Direct PLUS Loan

Parents of dependent students may apply for a Direct PLUS Loan to help pay their student's education expenses as long as certain eligibility requirements are met. The applicant must not have an adverse credit history.  For more information, please contact the Financial Aid Office. 

 Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan


Direct Stafford Loans, from the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program, are low-interest loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education at a four-year college or university, community college, or 
trade, career, or technical school. Eligible students borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education at participating schools. For more information, please contact the Financial Aid Office.  

  COS Documents                                                                  U.S. Department of Education Information
Direct Loan Information                                                  Entrance Counseling Guide 
Important Information for First Time Loan Borrowers        Exit Counseling Guide  
Direct Subsidized Loan Request                                       
Direct Loan Basics for Students
                                                                                            Direct Loan Basics for Parents
                                                                                            Military Student Loan Benefits


 NOTE: Your school can refuse to certify your loan or can certify a loan for an amount less than you would  otherwise be eligible for if the school documents the reason for its action and explains the reason to you in writing. The school's decision is final and cannot be appealed to the U.S. Department of Education.                                    


 Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded usually only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. Pell Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added. Students apply for the Pell Grant by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

You may only receive Pell Grant for six full-time equivalent years (600%).  For example, if you received a Pell Grant at full-time status for four semesters and at 1/2 time status for one semester, you will have used 2 1/4 years or 225% of your eligibility.  It is extremely important that you make good use of your eligibility and plan well so that you can achieve your academic goal before exhausting your Pell Grant eligibility. 

 Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) are for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest Expected Family Contributions (EFCs) will be the first to get FSEOGs. FSEOGs do not have to be paid back. Students apply for the FSEOG by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

 Federal Work Study (FWS)

Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs for undergraduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student's course of study. Students apply for FWS by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Last Updated: 4/14/2014 11:39 AM