Read Chapters 1, 2, 3, and 4 pp.95-99, study the vocabulary terms, and review your lecture notes .
- Know the most abundant gases in the atmosphere.
- What is the environmental lapse rate?
- Know the difference between aphelion and perihelion.
- How does the majority of oxygen get into our atmosphere?
- Understand the terms solstice and equinox and know when they occur.
- When does Visalia experience it’s longest day and it’s shortest day?.
- What would happen if the earth’s rotational velocity increased?
- How much is the earth’s axis tilted?
- Understand what happens during a temperature inversion.
- What might happen if the rate of the earth’s revolution increased?
- What happens at the Arctic Circle on June 22nd or December 22 nd .
- Approximately how much of the sun’s short-wave radiation is reflected, scattered , or absorbed before making it to the surface of the earth?
- Know the freezing and boiling points on the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales and how to do conversions between the two scales.
- Understand how to figure an average annual temperature range and where in the world one might experience the largest and smallest ranges.
- Understand the relationship between maximum temperature and maximum insolation.
- What are isotherms and how do you recognize a weak or steep temperature gradient?
- Understand land/water contrasts.
- What causes seasonality?
- Understand Wien’s Law.
- What surfaces have high or low albedos.
- On a daily basis, when are you likely to experience the highest and lowest temperatures?
- Which atmospheric gases are primarily responsible for creating the atmospheric effect?
- What is radiosonde?
- What is the difference between the the homosphere and the heterosphere?
- What does cloud cover do to daily temperature ranges?
- What is hypoxia?
- You will have a matching section on heat transfer mechanisms.
- You will also have a matching section on diagram asking you to locate the equator, the axis, the circle of illumination, and the plane of the ecliptic.
ESSAY - 3 PARTS
1) Explain the general theory of Global Warming
2) Explain the general theory of Stratospheric Ozone Depletion.
3) Are there ant interrelationships between these two problems?
BRING SCANTRON 886
4/18/2012 3:32 PM