Read Chapters 13,14,& 15
Study all vocabulary terms
Additional Hints :
- What are mid-ocean ridges and what occurs there?
- How do igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks form?
- Be able to categorize all the rocks discussed in class.
- Define the term mass movement and know some examples.
- Know the characteristics if normal, reverse, thrust, and strike-slip faults.
- Know some examples of plutonic features.
- What volcanoes make up the core of the Hawaiian Islands?
- How did Crater Lake form and what is a caldera?
- Know the order of events of how the earth and life formed according to the scientific community.
- What are horsts and grabens?
- What are the two basic categories of weathering?
- Understand root wedging, frost wedging, and exfoliation.
- What causes exfoliation?
- What is solifluction?
- What is the Mercalli Scale used for?
- What are anticlines and synclines?
- What are some lines of evidence used to support the Theory of Plate Tectonics?
- Understand the Richter Scale?
- What is the Moho?
- How do island -arc chains form?
- Understand the term half-life.
- What kind of faults produce fault scarps with the most vertical relief?
- How are the Hawaiian Islands forming?
- What kind of a plate boundary is represented by the San Andreas Fault?
- What is creep?
- What determines the rate of mass movements?
- How do rift valleys form?
- How are the Himalayas forming?
- How is the distance from the epicenter to a seismograph station determined?
- Can faults occur in the same general area as folding?
- Along what kind of plate boundaries is volcanic activity the most prevalent?
- Define the term tsunami and understand how they form.
- You will have two problems (cross sections) with respect to relative dating.
See take home assignment.
3/14/2012 1:22 PM