LVN to RN Program Options
The following options for completion of the COS RN program are available for LVNs.
All applicants must meet the 2.5 GPA requirements overall AND in prerequisite classes prior to being given permission to apply. An applicant who does not meet this requirement is not eligible to apply to the nursing program under ANY option of study.
1. The student must complete the general education requirements, pre-requisites, and co-requisites as listed on the LVN to RN application.
2. The student will earn an Associate of Science in Nursing Degree from COS.
3. Program prerequisites must be completed prior to application. Application deadline is January 15th for the Fall semester and July 15th for the Spring semester.
4. The student will purchase ATI Nurse-In-A-Box prior to entering the program in order to meet program requirements. The student will take ATI practice assessments in Perinatal and Pediatric nursing during the program in order to determine proficiency in these areas and to aid in course advising and program planning.
5. Completion of an LVN Transition course with a “C” or better is required. If no LVN Transition course has been taken, the student must complete the COS LVN Transition Study Module that includes completion of Head-to-Toe Assessment and Skills Check List. This is mandatory. The student will meet with the Director to obtain instructions for completing the study module.
6. Upon acceptance into the RN Program, the student will be placed in N154 on a space available basis.
7. The student will verify competency in psychomotor skills ordinarily achieved during the first year of the COS RN program prior to entering NURS 163.
8. Option I will prepare the student to be eligible to take the NCLEX examination.
1. The LVN student will complete the entire Registered Nursing Curriculum beginning with the first semester of the program. Applicants who have not been practicing nursing or who have been working in long term care for a prolonged period are encouraged to consider this option.
2. Application deadline is January 15th for the Fall semester and July 15th for the Spring semester.
3. Option II will prepare the student to be eligible to take the NCLEX examination.
OPTION III: 30 UNIT OPTION
1. This option was established and required by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN -CCR1429).
2. The LVN student must complete Biology 30 (Anatomy), Biology 31 (Physiology), Biology 40 (Microbiology), and LVN Transition course. If no LVN Transition course has been taken, the student must complete the COS LVN Transition Study Module that includes completion of Head-to-Toe Assessment and Skills Check List.
3. The student must meet with the Director of the RN program before deciding to follow Option III.
4. Upon completion of the above courses, the student will then enter the nursing program on a space available basis and complete 20 units of core nursing courses which include NURS 154 Promoting Mental Wellness (4 units), NURS 163 Promoting and Restoring Wellness 1(9 units), NURS 164 Promoting and Restoring Wellness 2 (8 units), and NURS 166 Leadership and Management (3 units).
5. Application deadline is January 15th for the Fall semester and July 15th for the Spring semester.
6. The 30-Unit Option student cannot change their status to Option l or ll once the first class is attended.
7. Upon successful completion of Option III requirements, the student will receive a certificate of completion from COS and will be eligible to take the NCLEX exam. The student will NOT receive an Associate of Science in Nursing Degree and will NOT be considered a graduate of the college. If and when the 30-Unit Option LVN passes the RN-NCLEX examination, they will be designated as a “non-graduate” by the California Board of Registered Nursing. This designation is permanent. Non-graduate status has implications for out of state licensure.