Physical Therapist Assistant Program
Program Director- Jonna Schengel, MA, PT, Ed.D
ACCE/Faculty- Tatiana Deeff, MPT
915 S. Mooney
John Muir 125
Visalia, CA 93277
Students completing this degree will have a foundation for the fields of anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, physics and movement science through the study of basic principles of patient management, engineering and physics for the PTA, physical agents and modalities, pathophysiology, orthopedics, neurorehabilitation for the PTA, therapeutic exercise and will acquire skills for patient care, application of modalities and physical agents, implementation of therapeutic exercise and cardiopulmonary rehabilitation under the PT plan of care and clinical education hours. This PTA program must comply with the accreditation requirements set by the Commission Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) of the American Physical Therapy Association.
In keeping with the mission of College of the Sequoias, the PTA program mission is to graduate well-educated, competent, caring, quality physical therapist assistants. The PTA Program is designed for optimal use of educational and clinical resources.
We endeavor to educate students who:
- Strive for excellence
- Commit to high ethical standards
- Appreciate racial, social and cultural diversity
- Invest in community/industry improvement
- Engage in lifelong learning
- Graduation from an accredited high school or GED equivalency
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- 2.5 or higher GPA on combined biology prerequisites: BIOL 30 (Anatomy) 4 semester units including a lab component; BIOL 31 (Physiology) 4 semester units including a lab component.
- A minimum grade of “C” in all prerequisite courses is required. Please be advised that a “C” in all prerequisites courses does not meet the 2.5 minimum GPA requirements.
- No more than one repetition of any biology course is allowed. W’s count as a repeat.
- Clinical placements will require background check and drug screen prior to clinical courses.
- Applications are due by June 15th each year for fall semester.
- Upon admission to the program, all applicants must provide the following valid and current information: American Heart Association Health Care Provider CPR Card; health clearance (Immunizations and physical exam); California driver’s license; California automobile insurance and reliable use of transportation.
Upon successful completion of this degree, students will be prepared for careers or employment in the following fields: acute care hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, outpatient rehabilitation clinics, inpatient rehabilitation centers, school based health care services.
- Effective May 2, 2012 College of the Sequoias was granted Accreditation status by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education of the American Physical Therapy Association (1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA, 22314; phone: 703-706-3245; email: firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- We currently accept 26 students out of approximately 80-100 applicants each year for fall admission.
- Graduation rate is 96% for the 2012, 2013 graduates
- Check out our Facebook page for career opportunities at https://www.facebook.com/COSPTA
- The PTA Program had a 100% successful employment rate of the 2013 graduates
- Total Percentage of Graduates who took the NPTE and passed is 96% for the 2012 class; 100% for the 2013 class
Graduates will be able to:
- Pass the national physical therapist assistant licensure exam; measured by an 80% pass rate on the NPTE/PTA licensing examination.
- Demonstrate competence in the cognitive, psychomotor and affective domain necessary to provide Physical Therapy services under direction of a Physical Therapist: measured by an 80% graduation rate of students who start the PTA program.
- Adhere to professional behaviors set by APTA’s Code of Ethics and Guideline for Conduct of the Physical Therapist Assistant; measured by 80% student membership in the APTA.
- Demonstrate patient safety at all times; measured by 100% completion of lab check offs
- Achieve a successful transition from an education program to professional employment as a PTA; measured by a 80% employment rate of graduates.
" You can Be Me Physical Therapy"
You Can Be Me Physical Therapy Video
Below is link to a website that can answer your questions to how to become a PTA, licensure requirements, etc. This resource is very helpful as you determine if a PTA career is your next step: