The College of the Sequoias Foundation and COS Students raised awareness about philanthropy during this giving season. We are reminded our community that the COS and its many programs to serve and support students are great causes that are in need of support. From Arts to Athletics to Academics, the College of the Sequoias has many areas worthy of donations of time, talent, and treasure.
Foundation volunteers and staff cultivate and direct community resources to COS in the areas that matter most to the communities for which COS serves. Primarily through direct gifts, special events, and planned giving, these raised resources are invested or immediately spent for the direct benefit of COS students and programs. Some recent uses include student scholarships, educational equipment purchases, and capital improvements. To see more about what the COS Foundation has done recently for the college, go to: Donations at Work
Some needs at COS
- While over 65% of the student body demonstrate a need for financial assistance, less than 20% receive any type of COS Scholarships. Each year the COS Foundation awards over $360,000 to students. Much more is needed to ensure no student is passing up on a higher education because of lack of resources. Specify "Scholarships" when making your gift to the COS Foundation.
- Give COS Students that are food insecure a better opportunity to focus on their studies by providing temporary food support coupled with education about community resources for food. Help strengthen COS partnerships Foodlink and Fresno Community Food Bank to ensure our students do not go without good, nutritious food.
With $2,483.31 raised so far during this GivingTuesday year-end campaign, the Giant Pantry will be able purchase thousands of pounds of food to serve hundreds more students at the Visalia, Tulare and Hanford campuses. The Giant Pantry also received a generous matching gift of $2,000 from the Gilman Family in Visalia, bringing their total to $4,483.31!
- COS Theatre, our Art Gallery, the music and choral programs, and our returning COS Pep Band all need resources to support the students engaged in the arts. From traveling to shows and competitions to updating instruments and equipment. Supporting the future of the arts is easily accomplished by designating a COS arts program when making your gift to the COS Foundation.
- Give COS Giants the EDGE and help any one or all of the 14 COS Athletics programs have the resources they need to support athlete tutoring and mentoring, team travel, and all the necessary equipment to train and compete at their best. Specify "Athletics" or a specific sport when making your gift to the COS Foundation.
Meet COS Student Athlete, Dojahnae Senegal. She is a
sophomore majoring in liberal arts – health and physical education. Went to
high school in Fresno, but now is living during the week in Visalia to attend
COS and play on the women’s basketball team. She is a 6’ 2”, starting power
forward. Like many of us, Dojahnae needs glasses or contacts to correct her
vision. But Dojahnae only has one pair of glasses for both school and
basketball. Twice the frames were broken playing basketball. They are now held
together with athletic tape. During play, she constantly has to reposition her
glasses and worry about getting them hit again. During school she is wearing
glasses held together with athletic tape.
The COS Foundation and COS Athletics work together to make
sure student athletes have what they need to succeed in school and in
competition. That is why each year around this time we launch a GivingTuesday
campaign to support our students and our teams with all that they need to
succeed, but are not available through state funding. Whether it is a knee brace,
proper meals during competition travel or glasses and contacts for someone like
Dojahnae, COS needs community support of its 14 athletic teams. These teams are
representing the College of the Sequoias and the entire community to the rest
of the state. They deserved to be well-equipped and well-supported. If you
agree, go to COS.edu/GivingTuesday and make a caring gift to any COS program
you wish. Your support is needed and greatly appreciated.
The GivingTuesday donations to COS Athletics and Women's Basketball were enough to proceed with getting Dojohnae her optometrist exam, prescription, new frames and a six-month supply of contacts. She is so excited. Unfortunately her prescription is so unique that we were not able to walk out with new glasses or contacts. They will be delivered within 7-10 days. Until then, she is walking around and playing in this weekend's tournament with her original glasses still held together with tape. An exciting finding during the exam: Dojahnae's peripheral vision stands to be greatly improved with her use of contacts and improved glasses. This will help her be more aware of her surroundings, making her a safer driver and possibly improve her already great performance on the court. She is so excited!
Big thanks to Coach Lindsey Hall (Asst. Volleyball Coach) for taking her to the optometrist appointment and guiding her through the process.
- COS Clubs support many interests of students. Focusing on student involvement and expanding points of view, COS Clubs are a valuable contributor to the college experience. A complete list of clubs can be found HERE. Simply designate the club you wish to support when making your gift to the COS Foundation.
- The COS Foundation board supports many different aspects of the college to help ensure student success. This board of volunteers work closesly with faculty and administration to determine the best use of community resources to support the college and the students in attendance. Giving an undesignated gift will provide resources for the COS Foundation board to allocate as deemed appropriate.
Here are some #UNSelfies taken on campus during GivingTuesday 2016